July 19, 2011

Garlic Scapes

What are garlic scapes, you say?  I wondered the same thing when I read this post at The Art of Doing Stuff.  I wish I could say that I looked it up in a gardening book or encyclopedia, but I don't have either of those.  And since I'm not currently growing any garlic, I just googled it.  Apparently garlic scapes are the curly stalks that grow up from the first leaves (you can learn more about them here).

I'm sure all you avid gardeners know to trim the scapes off so the bulb can grow.  But did you know that they are edible?  It turns out that garlic scapes also make beautiful arrangements... check out these beauties.
Thanks to Karen at The Art of Doing Stuff for the inspiration.  If you haven't been to her blog yet, take a minute to check it out... tons of great ideas (plus she'll have you in stitches in no time!).

1 comment:

Amy said...

SO CUTE!!! I need to try these. Thanks for the link

Related Posts with Thumbnails